Spotlight on: Pink for October

by The Gardener on Sunday, September 23, 2007

Well, here’s an announcement about a party that the Garden is already prepared for! The Pink for October program asks websites to “go pink” for the month in order to encourage and support breast cancer awareness. In honor of the campaign, Natalie Joost has designed two free WordPress themes to make it easy for bloggers to transform their sites. Both are great-looking layouts and can be downloaded here. If you don’t want to change your theme but do want to adopt a pink color scheme, she is offering several choices.

Obviously, donations to the American Cancer Society and other charitable organizations working to prevent and cure breast cancer are encouraged.

But you can help in other ways and you don’t have to wait until October 1. Show your support now! Grab the pink ribbon displayed here or the badge in the sidebar. Download one of the many other badges and display it on your site now to help spread the word so that other folks can be ready to transform their sites at the stroke of midnight on October 1.

Matthew Oliphant is responsible for this great promotion. He explains that he got the idea from an “offhand” remark by a coworker. Read his kick-off post detailing several ways that you can get involved and contact him or his fellow organizers if you have ideas about other things you can do to help make this year’s campaign a huge success.

Last year, about 1,500 blogs went pink in October and the organizers would be thrilled if 15 times that number went pink this year.

So how about you? Are you going to make your site Pink for October? If so, make sure that you sign up!

{ 1 trackback }

Health Sures » Spotlight on: Pink for October
Monday, November 12, 2007 at 3:41 am

{ 33 comments }

1 Jennifer Monday, September 24, 2007 at 11:53 am

I can’t change mine to pink…oh the work. LOL.. I took a pink bow though and will gladly show it on my sidebar. Is there someplace in particular I should link it into??

2 Amanda Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 12:04 pm

I’m all pink and happy!!

3 Dave RH Wednesday, September 26, 2007 at 6:28 pm

I’m going to talk to my designer, see if we can add the yellow ribbon in somewhere on the header.

4 bankruptcy information Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 12:25 am

Having just found your blog on Google, I’ll be back many times.

5 Arjen Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 1:32 am

Let me see what I can do with our website. This is a great crusade and I am hoping that my organization can be part of this.

6 Arthur Trueger Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 2:04 pm

I will contact my web designer. Thanks for the information.

7 Jimmy Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 2:06 pm

This is great!! Time to go pink!!! Thanks

8 Gorilla Trades Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 9:58 am

Great idea, I have to tell my boss about that.

9 GeegeR Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 9:18 am

These are great ideas and they fit the demogrtaphics for my site.

10 El Yanqui Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 7:15 am

I found this so late in the month, I can’t change it now. Well, that’s my excuse. Pink isn’t really my colour and I just made a post about men not wearing pink.

Cancer reasearch is something I support because like most people, I know someone fighting it.

I just wish pink wasn’t the colour for support!

11 Grame Saturday, November 3, 2007 at 4:33 am

I will wear pink all this month to support for the cause.

12 Hindi music fan Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 1:02 am

Pink is nice.

13 Matt on holiday Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Actually i have a friend that died because of breast cancer,I support what you are doing fully! and I wanted to thank you for doing this.

14 Example Essay Thursday, January 24, 2008 at 8:22 am

ah if i could find a WP theme, i would definitely join this campaign, good one,

cheers!

15 Tina Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I know I’m too late for join this action, But I think it’s a nice idea to help the cancer society…Pink is not always belongs to Valentine. Now it’s belong to the cancer society.

16 kangomommy Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 9:46 am

I found this site looking for breast cancer awareness blogs. I think I’m going to snag the ribbon and go pink for Valentine’s Day. Awareness needs to last longer than just October. Thanks for the awesome info!

17 Knotter Friday, February 8, 2008 at 11:56 am

Some people think I’m crazy, but I have a whole pink wardrobe for October :)

Knotter’s last blog post..Wedding Programs

18 Scuba Diving Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 6:47 am

i wonder would this campaign continue the next oct in the following year?

would love to participate then

19 Kalvin C. Chinyere, M.D. Wednesday, April 2, 2008 at 7:47 am

Pink is the color of love.It should be used in February.

Kalvin C. Chinyere, M.D.’s last blog post..The 7 Keys To Permanent Weight Loss

20 Caymon Islands Thursday, April 3, 2008 at 10:05 am

Just wondering if this site has always been pink or you changed it for this campaign and decided to leave it like this.

21 seo consultants Tuesday, July 1, 2008 at 1:50 am

“Going pink” is a nice idea to create awareness among the people. Thanks for info.

22 Aluminium Garden Furniture Tuesday, July 1, 2008 at 5:53 am

Are you going to run with this idea this year. I think it is excellent. If only we could turn the whole internet pink

23 muzikfreak Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 2:33 am

changing the whole site to pink is a lil tough fr me.. but i’ll put a pink symbol in my sidebar widgets!! noble venture.. gotta support it!! come on everyone!!

24 Claire Civil Engineering Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 12:23 am

My Boyfriends Stepmum currently has breast Cancer, and i feel that it should be supported in this way. Its an awful thing to go through, especially when you are young and only have 2 small toddlers. I really thank all the people who support the charity – people who help others out.

Thanks you lot
Claire Civil

Claire Civil Engineerings last blog post..Skip Recycling

25 Joseph Mercola Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 7:04 pm

That sure was a great idea. Any updates? Will there be another one this coming October?

26 RunDMB112 Monday, August 25, 2008 at 2:01 pm

October is creeping up on us again. I’ll be sure to participate this year.

27 Ascend Training Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 5:22 am

Thanks for the enjoyable read on going pink. You are truly making a difference in others lives.

28 UptakeInOH Tuesday, September 2, 2008 at 8:57 pm

I just came by to look for a banner for my site and wanted to post another breast cancer event: Lee National Denim Day. Here is the link for more info:

It’s Oct. 3, so be sure to mark your calendar and show your support.

29 Worldwide Wall Tapestries Saturday, September 20, 2008 at 6:02 am

This is a great idea, and October is only 2 weeks away. I think it’s fun to have themes where everyone gets together, such as this pink one, other valuable causes, and of course for Christmas season as well. And all the support and volunteer staff are so important too with the pink ribbon cause.

30 David - Chicago Sunday, October 12, 2008 at 9:46 am

Another year, will use this tip now!

David – Chicago’s most recent post: Speaking Of Facebook – It Needs Change Management of Customer Service

31 Roger Hamilton Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 5:52 am

It’s good to see such things happening. Are there anymore similar ones for other type of causes coming up?

32 cheap iveco parts Friday, November 28, 2008 at 1:49 am

33 Kennewick Real Estate Thursday, January 29, 2009 at 7:56 pm

My son’s high school basketball team wore pink for cancer awareness last week. Was kinda cool to see all the folks sporting pink shirts.

Kennewick Real Estate´s most recent post: What Is “Bacn?”

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: